Friday, February 1, 2013

Foodie Friday: Brownie Edition

When I started this blog I had planned to include sewing, knitting, and cooking projects; I completely failed at the last one in 2012.  So, in an effort to put the "savory" (& sweet) back into Savory Stitches, I'm going to post one food-related thing every week for Foodie Friday.  And I thought I would start with brownies, because, well, how can you go wrong with fat, sugar, and chocolate??

I have an insatiable sweet tooth, so I don't bake very often.  I have zero self-control when it comes to baked goods, especially in the comfort of my own home.  I can't eat all of the cookies at work, but no one needs to know if I do it at home, right? The potential for public shame is essential to keep me reigned in.  I did treat myself to a batch of brownies recently, and happily consumed quite a few (which is why there aren't more on the plate...)


Brownies are such a personal thing - how chocolatey, how rich, nuts or plain, chocolate chips... This is my family's brownie recipe; it's what I grew up eating, and the only one I make at home.  They're cakey, not chewy, and have just the right density.

THE RECIPE:
Makes one 8" x 8" pan of brownies.
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup melted butter
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
3/4 cup flour
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Line pan with parchment paper.
  2. Beat sugar, salt and vanilla into eggs.  For a crunchy top, beat for 2-3 minutes.  
  3. Stir in chocolate and butter.
  4. Stir in flour until just combined.
  5. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean.
  6. Let cool and eat!
Yum!

4 comments :

  1. Amen to public shame keeping the sweet tooth in check! I tend to prefer a chewy brownie myself, but these look delicious (and, as you said, you can't go wrong with fat, sugar, and chocolate). Plus, it's really hard to screw up a brownie.....well, except for that delicious smelling hockey puck I made that one time... The disappointment was too much for words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe - it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One can never have too many brownie recipes. These look really good, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friday has just become my new favourite day! These brownies look amaaaaaayzing! I would eat them in the comfort of my own home, without having to share, too :)

    ReplyDelete