Saturday, January 19, 2013

FO: Mega Minoru


This project was bouncing around in my head for a few months before I was finally able to start it. I made a lightweight Minoru last year, and ever since I have wanted a wintery version with "extras."


I left out most of the elastic at the waist, and just used a few inches of 1/4" elastic to cinch in the center back.  Then I covered it up with a tab and buttons.  Who doesn't love covered buttons??? I also added a fixed hood, instead of the convertible collar/hood in the pattern. I altered the pattern hood to be a 3 piece, which fits my head better, and attached it by treating it like the collar in the instructions.


I narrowed the neckline slightly, since the one on my first Minoru has always felt a little wide to me, and added a placket behind the zipper for comfort. Rocket Sews describes how to add one here. This keeps the top of the zipper from rubbing my chin, and keeps the cold metal zipper off of my skin.  And it looks fancy.


I never ever use the inside pocket of my other Minoru, so I added welt pockets to this one using the Colette tutorial for the Anise Jacket here.  I'm so proud of these! And I also put in knit cuffs, instead of the elastic in the original pattern.  This was a fun way to combine knitting and sewing.  Most cuffs are a double layer, with the fold at the edge.  I didn't want that much bulk, so I re-created the folded-edge look with a tubular cast-on.  
I used flannel for the lining, which makes it nice and cozy.  The sleeves are lined in VERY pink rayon with a flannel under(inter?)lining to make the jacket easier to get on and off.  AND the flannel lining...


...has WHALES on it!!! Only on the back and in the pockets, because I knew that the front lining would show when the jacket was open, and I wanted to wear this to work.  While I think the whales are awesome, they don't exactly scream "professional."


The main fabric is a lightweight wool coating from Fashion Fabrics Club that I got for Christmas (thanks, Mom!).  It is very loosely woven, so I interfaced the whole jacket with a fusible tricot for stability and longevity.  This also added a little heft to the fabric, which is nice.  This also lead to my only gripe about this jacket - despite my best efforts, there are a couple of small spots where the interfacing did not want to fuse.  I'm using the good stuff (from Fashion Sewing Supply), and I've read about people interfacing some coat parts with tricot, so I'm not sure where I went wrong.  Hopefully it doesn't get worse and bubble all over.  I'll be dry cleaning, so that should help.  Right???
Other than that, I'm thrilled!  I know I'll get a lot of wear out of it.

QUICK FACTS:
Fabric: Wool from Fashion Fabrics Club, flannel from Fabric Frantic on Etsy, rayon lining from Mood.
Pattern: Sewaholic Minoru
Modifications: "Extras" above, plus the same size modifications as last time.  I also slimmed it down at the hips a little more than before.

52 comments :

  1. Awesome coat! And the whales are too cute, that will be fun to see them every time you slip this on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lightweight version of this is on my list of things to make this year. i LOVE your version here! so cute. the mods you made look really great. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely make one.

      Delete
  3. ahhhh I love this so much. I want to make a replacement Minoru (I lost mine) but I knew I would want to leave off or replace the elastic parts. You did a great job with the alterations. It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I really liked yours, so sad that it's gone!!

      Delete
  4. I love all your modifications to the pattern, it looks great! I've been thinking about using the minoru to make myself a new winter coat... someday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... "someday" is something I say a lot when it comes to sewing...

      Delete
  5. This looks great! I love the tab you put on the back, super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pockets. If I make the Minoru again, I am definitely adding welt pockets like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think external pockets are a must on this jacket (or any jacket). The Colette tutorial was great.

      Delete
  7. Your modifications are fantastic and really do bring out the best in the pattern. The whales are basically the best not-so-secret secret ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a terrific version and you should be really proud of the pockets. They're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously impressive. Fabulous changes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable! What a great little jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never really been keen on the minoru because of the elastic waist but this one is SUPER AWESOME! I love all the little changes you've made to it, the fabric choice is great and I love the insides. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely prefer this one to the one I made with elastic. The great thing is, it's so easy to adapt the pattern.

      Delete
  12. awesome! great job! love all your changes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my dream jacket. I love all the changes (the cuffs are ingenious), and I think it is very functional and smart looking. Congratulations! Now, will you make me one? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such high praise, thank you! You should make one - it wasn't hard, it just took a long time.

      Delete
  14. Mika! Oh my gosh I cannot explain how much I love this. Wow very, very well done. I love the button tab detail in the back and the color will be nice because it will go with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Haylee! Grey is definitely a go-to neutral for me.

      Delete
  15. Great Minoru - and what an awesome lining! The fit looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the lining... makes me happy whenever I look at it.

      Delete
  16. Oh my gosh this is amazing!! My Minoru is in my sewing room as I've been scheming some mods for it. This has been great inspiration to get me moving ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow- this is absolutely awesome! I am loving the adjustments- it gives a really polished finish. And the whale fabric? I die!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmmmm..... ridiculously amazing. That is all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is wonderful!! I love all the changes you have made, they really make it a different jacket! They change the jacket to less casual which I really like.

    I have just bought this pattern and will bear your changes in mind when I start planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to see yours!

      Delete
  20. I love this coat! It fits you great and I like how you made the adjustments to suit your specific needs. And how fun - the best part is how the inside is silly but not in a way that is publicly visible. I always struggle with enjoying the details while still acting like an adult. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! I want my clothes to be fun and silly, but I have to be a grown up!

      Delete
  21. i am in total awe over this coat. all those details you added. oh, and the tab at the back? amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is AWESOME. Very well-done, and it looks amazing on you! Ohhh, please please bring this to the meet-up so I can oogle it properly ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I will absolutely bring my whales to the meet up.

      Delete
  23. I love love the tab at the back and the covered buttons! I'm actually working on a Minoru and was thinking of knitting the cuffs as well... do you recommend? Are yours hidden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would absolutely recommend them! Mine stick out about 1/2". I sandwiched them in between the lining and the shell when I hemmed the sleeves.

      Delete
  24. i love what you've done with this - the knit cuffs, the angled welt pockets, the placket behind the zipper, the tab and buttons in the back. all around awesome! i think i might steal a lot of these ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so damn cute! I can't believe you made this coat, I need to make a coat, I'm insanely jealous. This is just the best! I adore it. Well done!

    Strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This turned out beautifully! You have really inspired me to get going on my Minoru!!

    ReplyDelete