Thursday, January 24, 2013

FO: The "I'm never going to take this off because it feels like wearing pajamas but I look nice!" Top

How's that for a descriptive title?



After the complexity of my Minoru, I was looking for an easy project - something with near-instant gratification.  I found it in Cation Design's Dolman Sleeve Top (it's free!).  Paired with a yard some super soft rayon (I think?) jersey I bought at East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse for $3, I really couldn't lose.


It's the perfect weekend, lounging, travel, and Friday work top as long as I accessorize properly.  I can't share much about my pattern mods because I had some printing issues - no matter what I did to my printer settings, the 4" test square kept printing as 3.5".  After trying a few times, I decided to cut the large size to get something close to a small.  I cut the sleeves as long as I could with the amount of fabric I had and made the sleeve cuffs about twice as tall.  I attached the neck band by folding the strip of fabric in half and sewing it right sides together to the neckline, my usual method for knits.


All in all, it was quick, easy, and I'm very happy with it.  Just what the sewing doctor ordered.

QUICK FACTS: 
Pattern: Cation Design's Dolman Sleeve Top
Fabric: Rayon knit

13 comments :

  1. I love a good comfy top, even better when you can leave the house in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks comfy but still polished -- win!!
    I have been meaning to cut one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! What a perfect comfy basic. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks comfy but stylish and it's so satisying to be able to produce a project quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love tops like this, looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I love this color on you! This seriously is a majorly comfy top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks cozy! Aren't tops like that the best? I just recently finished a version of Cation's top in emerald velour. MmmM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet! And that colour on you is perfect! I love instant gratification garments like these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing these tops pop up. One day I will have my own. Until then, it's wonderful to live vicariously through wonderful versions like yours here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks fab on you! what a great relaxing project after the awesome of Minoru with lovely results. That wine colour is super on you :D Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I have to make this. It's done.

    strugglesewesastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just now got around to seeing this...it looks fabulous, and I'm so glad you were able to work it out even with the printing issues. That purple is gorgeous on you, and the comfy/pulled together-ness is just icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete