This fabric has driven me crazy for the last two years. I bought about three yards at Stonemountain and Daughter when I was living in Berkeley, and as soon as I brought it home I realized I had no idea what to do with it. It's a rayon challis, and a logical person would take advantage of its drape and the abstract pattern. What did my perpetual beginner self settle on, 18 months later? A fitted dress with a princess seamed bodice. Underlined in poly. Oy! That dress is ill-fitting, on top of being a terrible marriage of pattern and fabric - instead of displaying the print, I hacked it up into as many pieces as possible, and all of the seam lines are terribly distracting.
Seeking redemption, I settled on a simple, bias-cut cowl neck top (Butterick 4132) for some of the remaining yardage.
I didn't even unfold the directions for this top. Instead I read through Sunni's tips for sewing on the bias, and made a few modifications to the pattern. I skipped the facings, which a) I generally don't like anyway, and b) were not going to work with this fabric, which is ever so slightly sheer. Instead I did a narrow hem along the cowl neckline, and used bias binding for the armholes and back neckline. I was even good and I let the top hang for 24 hours before hemming. Go me!
The resulting shirt is just what this fabric needed - the print is largely intact, the bias cut works perfectly with the drapey rayon, and it fits. Hallelujah! Maybe I'll consider myself graduated to intermediate now...
Fabric: Rayon challis from Stonemountain and Daughter (available at Vogue Fabrics now)
Pattern: Butterick 4132, view A
Modifications: Eliminated facings in favor of narrow hems and bias binding. Cut a size 10 initially, but took in to an imaginary size 6.
I cut out this skirt before the move, and sewed it up in the new place. I'm quite pleased, though I did have to do a little fitting of the side seams - it was coming out way too big. I feel like New Look patterns are worse than most others in terms of having too much ease built in - I cut a 12 based on my measurements, and ended up sewing an 8, the smallest size in the envelope. In a pencil skirt especially, this doesn't make much sense to me. The skirt is supposed to sit at your waist, but if I had sewn the recommended size for my waist measurement it would have been falling off.
Anyway, I love that it's black and work appropriate, and it will see a ton of wear I'm sure. It's also super comfy and not too boring; the jacquard texture adds some interest. This would have been the perfect opportunity for a bright and fun colored lining, but I was working from my stash so it's black on black. Oh well.
Fabric: Cotton jacquard from Fabric Mart, bemberg rayon from Fabric.com
Pattern: New Look 6107 skirt
Modifications: Cut a size 12, sewed up the side seams with 1.25" SA, slightly more at the hips. Drafted a lining using Sunni's tutorial. Lengthened the vent by a couple of inches, and hemmed halfway between the two options given by the pattern.
Only two more days of MMM to share! I'll admit I'm looking forward to wearing some RTW dresses that have been sitting in the closet all month.