Thursday, October 4, 2012

FO: Fit to be Tied Dress


I think I may be approaching the number of bows a normal person should have in their closet... not that that's going to stop me from adding more!


I basically copied this dress.  I can't figure out who the designer is, since I pinned it from one of those flash sale websites several months ago. When I saw it, I immediately knew that I wanted one, and that I could make one with my trusty Jalie pattern.  Jalie 2921 is probably my most often used pattern.  I've made one top, one other dress, and altered the pattern to be my basic t-shirt block.  And now, one more dress.


The bodice is Jalie 2921, one size smaller overall than usual, and also graded down an extra size at the waist.     I had quite the time with the tie - the pattern has you basically fit the top into the tube for the tie like a burrito so that the finish is clean (sorry, this is very hard to explain!!).  My problem was that I made a mistake when I was cutting and my tie ended up being half as wide, so it took a lot of squishing to get the top to fit into half the normal amount of space.  The skirt is from Butterick 5030, which is basically a slightly-less-than-half circle skirt.


Since I don't have a serger (sadface), and the overedge stitch I normally use with knits causes crazy distortion in fabrics with two-way stretch, I used a narrow zigzag to sew the seams.  The shoulders and waist are reinforced with clear elastic, something I haven't done before.  What did I learn? My machine thinks that clear elastic is a very delicious snack and attaching it is.not.fun.  Many four letter words were involved.  But it looks good, and hopefully will keep things from stretching out of shape.  The bottom is unhemmed; I had no interest in messing with a curved knit hem this week.


And you know what else? This is a solid color! And wasn't boring to sew! I may be coming around...

QUICK FACTS:
Pattern: Jalie 2921 for the bodice, Butterick 5030 for the skirt
Fabric: Rayon jersey knit from Fabric Mart - somewhere around 1.5 yds.

22 comments :

  1. This is terrific. I might have to get the Butterick pattern and make this. (Happily, I already have the Jalie pattern.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous dress, the fit and finishing is perfect! You should be well proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! Even the colour is the same. There's something good about knocking something off in your sewing room huh? Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely! Apart from being a perfect version of your source it's a great colour and looks really wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect match! It looks great, and comfy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, this dress is AMAZING. Since you copied this dress... does that mean it's okay for me to copy you? I have serious dress envy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, NICE copy!! I love everything about this and I'm totally going to copy you right down to the color. HEH HEH HEH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I just used Jalie 2921 again.. it is seriously addictive to sew! I also may feel the need to copy this---imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks just like the original!! Your are so creative... I wouldn't know where to start with this dress...

    Jusi

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is lovely- what a great color on you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your rendition is perfect! It looks EXACTLY like the inspiration pic. I don't think I would have even dared to try. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! It's so cute and flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa, it does look exactly like the RTW dress. Pretty color! It's cool to know what your fall sewing plans are and to see them all come to life (and so quickly, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a really impressive copy of your inspiration dress. The fit looks great on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! I love bows :) Don't stop adding them!
    I really want to steal this idea off you... haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A girl can never have too many bows in her closet. Agreed and agreed.

    This was a simple dress but you used many not so simple techniques. Clear elastic is used in many RTW garments but those were sewn with industrial machines. Not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  17. seriously coveting this jalie pattern now. What a great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks fantastic. I love the drape and colour of this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just stumbled on your blog. Love your new dress and I think I'll be coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete