Thursday, September 13, 2012

FO: (Seer)sucker for Summer Dress



I'm pretty pleased with how this one came out.  The fabrics are leftover from my Mad Men dress and my Victory Patterns Anouk dress (which I still have not blogged!).  Unlike most of my projects, this one was very spur of the moment.  I looked at the fabrics, I had an idea, and I ran with it right away.  I don't think I would be successful at dealing with my wardrobe challenges if I sewed like this all the time, but it's fun to do every once in a while.


I used Butterick 5030, eliminating the wrap on the skirt because I didn't have enough fabric (also, who wants to worry about a wrap staying closed in the wind??).  I finished the neckline with bias tape, as usual, and added a waistband since I didn't have ties around the waist. I did a couple of hand stitches where the wrap crosses, to help keep everything from gaping when I sit down - that's what's causing the tiny bit of pulling below.


I'm on a roll with these invisible zips... this one is not quite as good as the last couple have been, but still decent.


The sleeves are the only thing I'm not totally pleased with - I took out almost an inch of ease from the sleeve cap, but I should have shortened the armscye by 3/4" to increase my range of motion.  It's not terrible, certainly not enough to be uncomfortable with every day activities, but that's a change I'll make next time. 

I do love the way the skirt hangs.  The navy fabric has such a good weight to it for skirts like this; it's nice and swingy.  Sadly, I don't see this transitioning very far into fall.  My last summery dress for the year, I think. 

QUICK FACTS
Fabric: Navy cotton sateen from AK Fabrics, and coral seersucker from Mood.
Pattern: Butterick 5030
Modifications: Wrap on the bodice only, added a waistband, removed 1" of ease from sleeve cap.

Also...


Have you seen the new Colette Patterns? It's killing me that I can't justify buying these right now.  I certainly can't justify getting fabric for them, and I don't have anything appropriate in my stash.  I especially love Anise - just the perfect little jacket, and I don't really feel like there are many similar patterns out there.  Juniper is also excellent - I could see myself wearing something like this a lot.  I do already have a wide leg trouser pattern that I'm working on fitting now, so I'm having an easier time letting those go.  But the jacket! Sigh... 

5 comments :

  1. Pretty!! And YES, I looove the new patterns from Colette. The pants look exactly like what I had been trying to find (though I won't be making pants for ages lol). The styling is impeccable too!
    But back to you! Well done on your dress, and may I ask how you eliminate ease from your sleeve caps? It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new dress is indeed super cute. There aint nothing better than a wrap dress. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack, I SO want the Anise jacket pattern, but I'm trying to be cool and hold off on purchasing it. It's so feminine, and a little bit outside my usual style, so I'm afraid I would spend tons of time making it and then not really wear it much. I dunno! I could see you wearing it all the time, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks great! Elegant yet casual enough... Good job!

    ReplyDelete