I'm pretty pleased with how this one came out. The fabrics are leftover from my Mad Men dress and my Victory Patterns Anouk dress (which I still have not blogged!). Unlike most of my projects, this one was very spur of the moment. I looked at the fabrics, I had an idea, and I ran with it right away. I don't think I would be successful at dealing with my wardrobe challenges if I sewed like this all the time, but it's fun to do every once in a while.
I used Butterick 5030, eliminating the wrap on the skirt because I didn't have enough fabric (also, who wants to worry about a wrap staying closed in the wind??). I finished the neckline with bias tape, as usual, and added a waistband since I didn't have ties around the waist. I did a couple of hand stitches where the wrap crosses, to help keep everything from gaping when I sit down - that's what's causing the tiny bit of pulling below.
I'm on a roll with these invisible zips... this one is not quite as good as the last couple have been, but still decent.
The sleeves are the only thing I'm not totally pleased with - I took out almost an inch of ease from the sleeve cap, but I should have shortened the armscye by 3/4" to increase my range of motion. It's not terrible, certainly not enough to be uncomfortable with every day activities, but that's a change I'll make next time.
I do love the way the skirt hangs. The navy fabric has such a good weight to it for skirts like this; it's nice and swingy. Sadly, I don't see this transitioning very far into fall. My last summery dress for the year, I think.
Fabric: Navy cotton sateen from AK Fabrics, and coral seersucker from Mood.
Pattern: Butterick 5030
Modifications: Wrap on the bodice only, added a waistband, removed 1" of ease from sleeve cap.