Wednesday, September 26, 2012

FO: Azul y Verde

Rayon challis is slowly taking over my wardrobe, and I make no apologies for it.  Yes, it does crease like crazy, but it drapes so nicely, it's fantastically soft, and it works for all seasons.  So what if I have a few wrinkles by the end of the day?


This dress was inspired by this one from Ruche.  I included a waistband instead of the elastic waist and sash, and added the contrasting band at the bottom of the skirt.


I started with Simplicity 2497, shortened the bodice by 3/4" and put the zipper at the CB (with a little slit and buttons at the top).  This was mostly because I squeezed this out of 1 yard of each color, and I was very close to not having enough fabric.  Plus I like the buttons.  I also took off a few inches in length.  Proportion is especially important with color blocking, I think - taking a couple of inches off the length took me from looking stumpy to looking tall (or at least my normal 5'5").


I ended up lining the skirt, which was not part of my original plan.  The fabric by itself was too thin, almost sheer, and clingy.  The lining was re-purposed from this dress, which I had to get rid of after I stained the chiffon skirt.  I'm hoping it prevents some wrinkling, because this fabric creases like nothing else...


I was terrified of how this was going to come together, because the last time I tried to sew a zipper into rayon (see my Alma blouse) it was a huge mess and I had to take it out.  This time I interfaced the seam allowance, basted in the zipper, and then sewed it in.  Success! I also knew that the bottom band needed to be perfectly straight or it would drive me nuts, so I spent ages cutting it exactly on grain.  It's a double layer, so the fold sits at the bottom of the dress.  I hemmed it with the blind hem stitch on my machine. 


The only problem? I have absolutely no clue how to style this for fall. Anyone have any brilliant styling ideas for me? How would you wear it?

I would like to note that I took all of these photos with one earring.  Fortunately I looked in the mirror before I left the house.

QUICK FACTS
Fabric: Emerald green & navy rayon challis from Fabric.com
Pattern: Simplicity 2497
Modifications: Moved zip to CB, added slit and buttons above the zipper.

27 comments :

  1. I love your version so much more than the inspiration for the dress, very well done!

    I have no real insight to your styling dilemma, as I am terrible at styling as well. I'm interested to see other peoples suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "style" my clothes for autumn by wearing a cardigan and tights and maybe a scarf if it's too cold, not exactly fashion material :D but a lovely dress, I like the colours of your version

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful - the sweet smell of success! Ditto to what Corinna said on the styling. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice interpretation of the Ruche dress. My cold weather styling consists of dark coloured tights (or maybe a bright colour contrast to the green?) cardigan and boots. More practicality than style :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the slit at the back with the buttons!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, this is why we sew- to tweak and make it perfect. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OHMYGOD< I love this. Your version is better than the one that inspired you. Great color combo...as for styling...hmm..I could see it with a blazer and booties. Maybe gray? New York is so warm in the fall, you could get away with no tights for some time yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking gray too - I don't have any blazers (need to fix that!) but I do have yarn on the way for a gray cardigan. Thanks!!

      Delete
  8. so pretty. i really love it. not sure about how to style it though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so pretty!! Green and black is such a great match for this dress and for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this, it's so pretty and so well finished! I'd throw on some tights and a cardi for autumn/winter...simple, but effective ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors and style of this dress are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty dress! Definitely better than the inspiration - I love the black :)

    I think a dress like this would work well with both boots or pumps... a cardigan or a blazer, depending on your mood. You could wear black tights with it, or mustard if you wanted to add another element of color :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mustard! I've been looking for an excuse to get mustard tights... Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete
  13. This looks really wonderful! I especially love the slit and button closure on the back, that is such a great idea! (And a really good way to fudge around having the correct length zipper if you're in the middle of a project and don't want to go to the craft store NO THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME EVER.)

    I would style this with boots and a brightly colored tight. I think black would be a bit much since the majority of the dress is black.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this color combo! Turquoise is one of my very favorite colors--and I also like it better in your version than the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dressed turned out fabulous and looks great on you. For fall-weather styling of course it could go with tights/boots/cardigan. For fall-color styling, you could at a third color of pumpkin in your accessories for even more color blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really, really cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO pretty! Navy plus any bright colour is always a win, and you finished this beautifully! I would definitely wear it with a blazer and scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute! I'd style it with black tights, ankle boots and a cardigan for Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty! I love this dress! I'm not sure how I found your blog, but I'm sure glad I did! I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous dress! I'm really inspired by how you have added the slit to the back!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm getting ready to embark on some rayon challis projects and remembered all your lovely challis projects. So, do you line your rayon challis? And what about care? I bought some from fabric.com (https://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=c9522868-a983-46ef-984a-b5fa07df1adc) since you got your navy/emerald there I wasn't sure if maybe they're the same substrate? Have you had any issues with care? How has the fabric held up? Thanks in advance for your input!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! Sorry for the late response... I sometimes line the skirt, never the bodice. Looks like the same fabric to me - in which case if you're making a dress you will want to line the skirt, as this challis is very lightweight. No care issues - I machine wash and hang to dry, and my dress sees a lot of wear but still looks pretty good! Good luck!

      Delete