Wednesday, September 19, 2012

FO: Anouk


I bought a set of three Victory Patterns ages ago, and finally got around to making the Anouk dress (and blogging about it, almost two months later!).  I love it - no zipper to deal with, and nice and comfy.



Overall this dress came together pretty easily, except for some unexpected fit issues with the yoke.  The best photo I could get was this one (sorry, a little grainy...):


If the yoke sat where it was supposed to, the neckline was very gapey.  When I looked at photos of other people's dresses, it seemed like this was a recurring issue, though not quite to this extent.  I fixed it by having the yoke cut straight across at the seersucker section, rather than at an angle like the pattern calls for.


I also had to cut some wedges off of the ends of overlapping front pieces so that they would line up properly.  The more elegant solution I'll try next time is to fold a wedge out of the neckline in the pattern.  I may also try cutting a 2 instead of a 4 - it feels a little big around the shoulders and armholes.  I would definitely recommend a quick muslin of the yoke for this dress - it could save you a lot of pain.

Other than that, everything came together fine.  My fabric choices were pretty uninspired, if you look at the sample:
Image Source
This is really one of those patterns where I have serious issues coming up with anything mildly creative.  I don't really mind one copy of the envelope, but I do want to use this pattern multiple times (have to justify the cost!), so hopefully either some more ideas will come to me soon or more bloggers will make it so that I can be "inspired" aka copy them.


QUICK FACTS
Fabric: Seersucker from Mood, chambray from Paron, and white cotton from my boyfriend's stained dress shirt.
Pattern: Victory Patterns Anouk
Modifications: None, except adjusting the yoke to deal with gaping.

15 comments :

  1. What an interesting pattern. Definitely putting this on my to-sew list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern and have fabric picked out to make one up. I think a muslin of the yoke is a good idea. Yours turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it. So cute and fun details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful. What about a black, yellow and red colour combination for the next version? Cheerful but good for winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea... I hadn't thought about a winter version.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, the seersucker detail is really cute! This looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... seersucker was what I went for when I couldn't find a striped shirting I liked! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I love this! And the design of the dress is so unique, I can see why you would opt for simple with your fabric choices. Must bookmark this pattern for next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorbs! I'm working on this now myself- I think your fabric choices were great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just looking at this Victory pattern. It's lovely on you, and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete