Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Alma Blouse

Alma Blouse

I was lucky enough to be a pattern tester for Tasia's new Alma blouse pattern - it was a great experience, and I love my top!

Alma Blouse

The fabric is rayon lawn, with little butterflies (or apples?).  It creases so easily, but worked nicely for this blouse.  I'd never seen rayon lawn before I found this at Paron, and haven't seen any since.  To be honest, I can't really distinguish between this and rayon challis.  I decided not to use a contrast fabric for the collar.  

Alma Blouse

I made view B, a 4 in the bust and a 2 in the waist and hips.  The only change I made to the pattern was to omit the zipper.  I actually did put it in, but it altered the drape of the top and I did a bad job anyway, so there were a couple of puckers.  In the end I took it out, because I could put on the top without it.  It's not quite as fitted as some of the other versions I've seen, but I don't mind this because the drape of the fabric keeps it from being anywhere near boxy.  Plus if I had made it more fitted, I would have had to deal with the zipper, or find some other way of getting into it. 

Alma Blouse

Overall, the pattern was excellent.  Tasia accounts for turn of cloth with her collar pieces, which I appreciate. What I especially love about the pattern is its simple (but not boring!) shape, and how different the views are.  I had a great time testing the pattern too - it was interesting to get an inside look at the pattern-making process, and Tasia answered any questions I had quickly and thoughtfully.

QUICK FACTS
Fabric: Rayon lawn from Paron
Pattern: Alma from Sewaholic
Modifications: None really, unless you count the lack of zipper.

15 comments :

  1. Pretty pretty! This version is so lovely. It's great to see what all the pattern testers are doing. Definitely need to add this pattern to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty. You should make more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack, you made the same version I tested too...it's beautiful! I love that your collar matches and it's also good to know that you can get away with no zip...I might try getting mine on with the zip done up to see if I can make future versions without one too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! So subtle and understated. Absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very lovely. good to know that a zip might not be neceesary too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving all the versions of this blouse that are popping up all over the internet - they all look so different! I love how soft & drapey yours is - looks super comfortable :) And the non-contrast collar is really subtle & beautiful. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like this blouse pattern. I love your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so beautiful! Understated and elegant, the drape looks so nice :) Sewaholic keeps churning out the winners eh? :)
    And so do you, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. nancybjarrell@aol.comAugust 4, 2012 at 1:55 PM

    you are a very talented sewer. All your creations are beautiful and flattering especially. Keep up the good work - enjoy your blog and thanks for blogging - its fun

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the cutest Alma top of them all! Love the 3/4 length sleeves and the fit is great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your version is gorgeous! You've inspired me to o get this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Because I love your top so much I'm attempting to make one also in rayon but I've never sewn with rayon before, so could I pick your brain? Did you use interfacing on your fabric? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete