I didn't make a muslin (this is where the trouble began), and cut an 8 in the bust and 12 in the waist and hips. I anticipated needing to take in the hips, but I ended up having to take in the whole thing everywhere - I ended up closer to a 6 in the bust (with more taken in here and there at the princess seams), 8 in the waist, and 4 for my non-existent hips. I also hacked off a good 6" from the hem, and made the waistband about 1/2" shorter to ensure it landed at my waist. The fabric does have some stretch to it, so if I make it again in a non-stretch woven I'll probably start with a size up overall. Next time I may also raise the waistline at the back a little more - there's the tiniest bit of pooling back there.
This was my first time trying to match a gingham and my first time doing a lapped zipper, and oh boy does it show. The matching is decent on my left side, but slightly off on my right. In some places it's really just completely off, but I'm not sure there's anything I could have done. I cut the button band, back yoke and waistband on the bias for visual interest and because it meant less matching - what can I say? I'm lazy.
The lapped zipper was a nightmare - I must have ripped out parts of it 5 or 6 times before I decided it was good enough. The pattern just uses the standard 5/8" seam allowance around the zip, which I think was part of the problem - next time I'll follow Lavender of threadsquare's tutorial and add a bit to one side.
I like the design a lot - the straight skirt feels more work-appropriate to me than the full skirts I prefer on the weekends. Eventually I'd love a basic black one with sleeves and a full skirt, or a red one with short sleeves and trim. The possibilities are endless.
Pattern: Simplicity 2403 (OOP Project Runway pattern)
Fabric: Stretch cotton gingham from Paron. It took less than 1.5 yds.
Modifications: Skipped the button holes and just sewed the buttons on through both layers (again, lazy).