Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Minoru Jacket: Finished!!

I finally finished my Minoru!

Minoru Jacket - Finished!


Minoru Jacket - Done!

Minoru Jacket - Done!


Pattern: Minoru Jacket from Sewaholic
Fabric: 2 yards of a cotton print from Fashion Fabrics Club plus some rayon lining from Mood.  The yardage requirements seem to be pretty generous.
Size: My measurements put me between a 4 and a 6.  I cut the 4 and graded down to a 0 at the hips, since these patterns are made for pear-shaped ladies.  It fits wonderfully, though I might take out a bit more at the hips next time.
Modifications: Shortened jacket by about 2.5 inches, shortened the sleeves and collar by 1".  Used a 26" zipper.  Interfaced outer collar piece, and only interfaced one set of the placket pieces.  Moved the inside pocket down to the hem.  It's crooked, but functional.

Minoru Jacket - Done!


Overall, I'm thrilled with the jacket.  I took the time to french seam the lining, since it's kind of sheer and frays like crazy.  I also spent a lot of time with my seam ripper towards the end, when I had rippley zipper issues (happily fixed now!) and when my stitch-in-the-ditch around the collar was more like "stitch-in-the-general-area-of-the-ditch."  I'm starting to think that instead of naming my sewing machine I should name my seam ripper - sometimes it feels like I spend more time ripping seams than sewing them! I'm glad I took the time to go back and fix the things that were slightly off though - now I don't have to think about them every time I put the jacket on.  All in all, it's the perfect light jacket for late spring weather and summer nights.  Which of course means I won't be able to wear it for a few months :(.

Minoru Jacket - Done!

Next time I really want to make a warm wool version (lined with flannel?), with a hood that doesn't zip into the collar and some external pockets.  And then maybe another one in cotton canvas... and then another one, and another one, and another one... Really what I'm saying is that it's an excellent pattern and everyone should make one.  Or five.

Minoru Jacket - Done!

My only concern with this jacket is that it seems to look best with pants.  And I almost never wear pants.  Maybe I'll get lucky with the Clover pattern and be one of those people who doesn't have to make 85,000 muslins... A girl can dream, right?

30 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bprinz, I'm sorry! Looks like we both removed a different duplicate. My fabric was 45" wide.

      Delete
    2. don't worry! I still remember my question and thanks for your answer! ;)

      Delete
  3. Lovely! It was definitely worth the extra effort - the fit is so nice & everything looks really neat & tidy! Love that fabric you chose... now I'm starting to regret telling myself I can't buy fabric for 6 months lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Fabric shopping bans are the worst...

      Delete
  4. It looks great! I'm almost finished with mine, but having issues with the hip area as well. I was on such a roll that now that I've got to make a modification I have just lost all steam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with the hip issues - I can tell you that once you finish it's a really great jacket!

      Delete
  5. This looks great! I like the fun print! I really want to make one of these-- they're turning out so cute on everyone!

    Couldn't agree with you more re: quality time with seam rippers! I am reallllly getting to know mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely make one. It's a really great pattern, and I've seen some really great versions out there.

      Delete
  6. It looks perfect! I have to say though- I'm so jealous of everyone who can shop online for fabric. Here in New Zealand, the shipping is outrageous, usually more than the fabric! So that puts me off :(

    But well done! I love the print too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh its so awesome! I love this jacket in a print and looks so great with skinny pants. Nice job you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your version is gorgeous! Love the fabric you chose.

    I think it looks cute with skirts, you should give it a go if that's what you wear more of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your version of the Minoru! It fits you so well and the fabric is so fun. You should try it with a skirt, but maybe with the jacket open.

    I made several of same alterations you did, including grading down a couple sizes (even though I'm hippy!). Also, stitching in the ditch is always a disaster for me. For the collar, I hand sewed too and it looks much better than it would have if I hadn't used the trusty ol' seam ripper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking great! Love your fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice! the floral is so neat looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job! I had a lot of success with my clovers and after shortening the crotch depth, had a perfect fit. Good luck on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your version of the Minoru! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How great is your print! Love the jacket. I especially liked that you moved the pocket down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great jacket. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful jacket! I adore your fabric! very elegant! and looks stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable! And I really like the way the lining is sheer revealing the subtly print even on the inside. Well done for french seaming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have just featured this on SSB. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete