Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Finished: As Luck Would Have It Dress

As Luck Would Have It Dress

Pattern: Jalie 2921, modified (see below); Size R
Fabric: Cotton lycra knit from Mood - 1.25 yards.  One-way stretch; the pattern calls for two-way, but it really doesn't seem to make a difference.


This was my second time working with this pattern (you can see the first here.) I lengthened it into a dress this time, free-handing the shape on the bottom and adjusting it later to be more a-line and less balloon-like.  The top alone calls for 1.25 yds of fabric, so I had to cut carefully to make this work.  I ended up cutting the scarf collar with the grain running in the wrong direction since I was running out of fabric, but I think in the end this worked to my advantage; some reviewers have said that their collar pokes out a little at the back of the neck, and I was able to stretch the collar slightly there as I sewed to avoid that issue.

As Luck Would Have It Dress

In order to get a nice finish at the neckline on the inside, the pattern instructions have you sew up the front seam after finishing the shoulders, armscye, and collar.  I spent ages figuring out how to be sure the pattern matched up in the front while not wasting any fabric since I had so little to work with.  I had everything all cut out properly, and then I was so excited and anxious about matching the center seam that I did that first! I was not about to rip out the overedged seam, so I had to do away with the pretty inside finish.  And, of course, not doing the pretty finish meant that I didn't even need the center seam anyway! Oh well.  

As Luck Would Have It Dress

This pattern (whether you remember to follow the instructions or not!) is so great.  I'm completely over my fear of knits now! Also, I really have to stop making things with bows on them.  Soon 90% of my outfits will involve a bow.  Or maybe there isn't anything wrong with that... Emma Pillsbury gets away with it, why can't I?

10 comments :

  1. Looks great! I do love Jalie 2921...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... it really is a fantastic pattern, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about the bows... I feel like 90% of my planned sewing involves bows! But they are simply adorable, I think just maybe you can't have too many bows :) This looks awesome by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I may just continue with the bows - I do love them...

      Delete
  3. That's an amazing dress! Good job on the print matching; I wouldn't have guessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Too bad I spent so much time on it when it turned out to be unnecessary, but I'm glad that at least you can't tell! :)

      Delete
  4. Nothing wrong with bows on everything! :) And oooh that print - so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. suuuper cute! that has got to be the perfect fabric for that pattern, and the bow makes it extra wonderful!

    ReplyDelete