Wednesday, February 15, 2012

County Fair Bag

County Fair Bag


I first taught myself how to sew by making bags - I have more handmade bags in my closet than handmade anything else. I love making bags because there's no sizing to really worry about - if it turns out an inch smaller than I had intended, generally it's no big deal.

County Fair Bag

County Fair Bag

County Fair Bag

I made this one last year, inspired by a ModCloth bag I now cannot find a photo of.  It's made of a cotton canvas from Denyse Schmidt's County Fair line, with a coordinating vinyl back.  It's definitely one of my favorite and most often used bags.

5 comments :

  1. This is really cute! I would like to make a bag just like this :) I love the little ribbon across the front!
    Would you tell me how you learnt to make bags? Did you use a particular pattern for this? It's really sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly taught myself through tutorials on craftster. I also used this tutorial to figure out the construction of this bag in particular, though I changed the shape a little. http://u-handbag.typepad.com/uhandblog/2010/05/free-bag-purse-pattern-big-n-beautiful-betty.html

      Delete
    2. Oh thank you for your reply :) I'll put it on my ever-increasing to-make list! :)

      Delete
  2. This is so lovely! Where did you get the frame? I want to shamelessly emulate you...
    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Please do shamelessly emulate me... I do that all the time :) I bought the frame here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/bagpurseframes?ref=pr_shop_more
      Fair warning, shipping takes a while. And, make sure you get some good glue too... search etsy for "purse frame glue" and you'll come up with some good suggestions. (These suggestions do not include (or should not include!) E6000, which I learned the hard way does not work.) Let me know if you do make one!

      Delete